2/16/2006

Another Soap Box

So, I am actually learning quite a bit at my job. 1. I have Nancy Grace, who despite our love/hate relationship, I think is doing a good job getting the word out about domestic violence. Raising our awareness to the point that I am ready to go and picket outside the courthouse of the man in Boston who killed his Wife and 9 month old baby girl. That is just one month younger than Charlie. 2. I work with a girl from Ethiopia named Emabet. She is pregnant with her first baby (a girl) and is one of the most beautiful people I've ever seen. We talk a lot about Africa. About the AIDS crisis, and how difficult it is to educate people there because most of them from outside the city don't have a written way to communicate, they don't read. So, education about AIDS has been difficult and slow-going. We also talk about Female Circumcision. Yeah, you heard me. Now, don't laugh at me, But I had no idea what it was and what it involved or that it even still happened around the world. But it does. It really does. Now, it has been outlawed in Ethiopia for about 10 years, but it is still practiced in Somalia, right next door to Ethiopia. After cutting all the 'bits' off, they proceed to sew the woman up until she gets married, leaving only a small hole for the urine or menstural bleeding. The infection rate is staggering, and the sheer cruelness of it is unbelievable. This is all done without any type of anisthesia. You can read more about it here. So, that is my soap box for the day. Find a way to help. Become a better person. I am trying to.

3 comments:

ashli said...

I'm on board with you! I want to help! What can you do?!

Anonymous said...

The murder of an infant and mother is beyond comprehension.

Even so, it is possible the husband/father in Boston is not guilty of these murders, as he says.

owlhaven said...

yeah, that stinks. I had heard this during the wait for my first Ethiopian daughter to come home...
Mary